In Malaysia, Lignosus rhinocerotis (Cooke) Ryvarden is also known as ‘tiger’s milk mushroom’ in English or ‘cendawan susu rimau’ in Malay. It is considered as a unique “National Treasure” that can only be found in a small geographic region in Southern China, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand and Australia. According to folklore, the name is based on a story in which the relatively uncommon fungus grows on the spot where a tigress drips her milk while feeding her cubs.
In Malaysia, L. rhinocerotis is the most popular medicinal mushroom used by the indigenous communities of Peninsular Malaysia4. The benefits of its underground tuber or sclerotium (where most of the nutritional and medicinal components are deposited) compared to its basidiocarp are well documented.
According to the ethnopharmacological reports, the sclerotium is sliced, boiled and drunk as an effective tonic for overall wellness and to treat several ailments including fever, cough, asthma, chronic hepatitis, gastric ulcer, cancer and food poisoning1-5.
1. Lee, S. S., Chang, Y. S. & Noraswati, M. N. R. Utilization of macrofungi by some indigenous communities for food and medicine
in Peninsular Malaysia. Forest Ecology and Management. 257, 2062–2065 (2009).
2. Burkill, I. H., Birtwistle, W., Foxworthy, F. W., Scrivenor, J. B. & Watson, J. B. A Dictionary of the Economic Products of the Malay
Peninsula, volume I & II. Kuala Lumpur: Governments of Malaysia and Singapore by the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives.
3. Chang, Y. S. & Lee, S. S. Utilisation of macrofungi species in Malaysia. Fungal Diversity. 15, 15–22 (2004).
4. Huang, N. L. Identification of the scientific name of Hurulingzhi. Acta Edulis Fungi. 6, 30–32 (1999).
5. Seow, S. L. S., Eik, L. F., Naidu, M., David, P., Wong, K.-H., & Sabaratnam, V. (2015).
Lignosus rhinocerotis (Cooke) Ryvarden mimics the neuritogenic activity of nerve
growth factor via MEK / ERK1 / 2 signaling pathway in PC-12 cells. Scientific
Reports, 5, 16349. doi:10.1038/srep16349